To insure its patrons the quiet enjoyment and use of Library materials and information services, Wilton Library has developed the following Code of Conduct:
- For the benefit of all users, quiet must be maintained in the designated Library study and reading areas. Loud talking and unruly behaviors are not allowed in any area of the Library. Use of cell phones, CD players or any electronic devices that interfere with the quiet enjoyment of the Library by its patrons are not allowed.
- Interference with or harassment or intimidation of Library staff, volunteers or other patrons will not be tolerated.
- Smoking, the possession of weapons, the use of narcotics or other controlled substances, and the unapproved use of alcohol are not allowed in the Library.
- Animals, other than those trained to assist disabled users, are not permitted in public areas of the Library.
- Misuse of or damage to Library material or equipment is not allowed.
- Appropriate attire, including shirts and shoes, must be worn at all times in the Library.
- Children under the age of twelve must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- All Library material or equipment being removed from the premises must be properly checked out. Library staff may inspect briefcases, handbags and other packages to assure compliance with check-out procedures.
- Personal property must not be left unattended in the Library.
- No solicitation within the Library buildings or on its grounds is permissible without the express consent of the Library director.
Any patron who fails to comply with the above provisions of the Code of Conduct may be asked to leave the Library premises. Continued non-compliance may result in the loss of Library privileges. Behavior that is illegal or that threatens the health or safety of other patrons, staff or volunteers will be reported to the police.
Reviewed and approved,
Wilton Library Board of Trustees
February 20, 2002