To ensure its patrons may enjoy the Library facilities, materials and services in a quiet, comfortable, safe and secure environment, Wilton Library has adopted, and requires all Library patrons to comply with, this Code of Conduct. Patrons who do not comply with this Code of Conduct may be asked by the library manager on duty to leave the Library premises. Refusing to do so may be the subject of a police complaint and result in a charge of trespassing. Serious or repeated violations may result in suspension or termination of Library privileges or prohibition of access to Library premises, in all cases as determined by the Library Executive Director or other member of library management. Behavior that is illegal or that threatens the health or safety of other patrons, staff or volunteers will be reported to the police.
- For the benefit of all users, quiet must be maintained in the designated Library study and reading areas.
- Loud talking and unruly behaviors are not allowed in any area of the Library. Use of any electronic device that interferes with the quiet enjoyment of the Library by its patrons is not allowed.
- Any activity that violates federal, state, local or other applicable law or Library policies is prohibited.
- Persons who are ill or exhibit symptoms of illness may be required by Library staff to relocate or leave the premises.
- Interference with or harassment or intimidation of Library staff, volunteers or other patrons is prohibited.
- Smoking, vaping, the use of or transactions in narcotics (including cannabis) or other controlled substances, or the unapproved use of alcohol, are not allowed in the Library.
- The possession of weapons is prohibited (except for law enforcement officers).
- Animals, other than those trained to assist disabled users, are not permitted in public areas of the Library without the express consent of the Library Executive Director.
- Misuse of or damage to Library property, material or equipment is not allowed.
- Patrons without appropriate clothing including a shirt and shoes, or whose bodily hygiene is offensive so as to constitute a nuisance to other customers or Library staff, may be asked by Library staff to leave the premises.
- In accordance with state law, children under the age of twelve must be supervised by a responsible adult at all times.
- All Library material or equipment being removed from the premises must be properly checked out. Library staff may inspect briefcases, handbags and other packages to assure compliance with check-out procedures.
- Personal property must not be left unattended in the Library.
- No solicitation on Library premises is permissible without the express prior consent of the Library Executive Director.
Photography and Recording
- Photographing, filming, audio or video recording or any other forms of recording on Library premises without the consent of the library manager on duty is prohibited. Any consent granted may be revoked at any time upon failure to comply with this Code of Conduct.
- No photos, videos or other recordings of any person (showing his/her face) on Library premises may be taken without that person’s prior consent.
- All photos, videos or other recordings shall be solely for personal and not for commercial use.
- The Library may utilize photos and videos from Library public programs and events on its website, social media channels, and in Library publications.
- Representatives of the press or other media may not create visual or audio records of events or programs conducted or sponsored by the Library or on Library premises without prior permission from the Library Executive Director or her or his designee.
Approved by the Wilton Library Board of Trustees, February 20, 2002
Revised and approved by the Wilton Library Board of Trustees, February 28, 2007
Revised and approved by the Wilton Library Board of Trustees, October 20, 2021