We encourage all community members to join us this fall and winter as we come together to read, discuss and reflect upon The Sweet Hereafter, a moving work of fiction that examines what holds a town together–and how tragedy can tear it apart. Following a deadly school bus accident in a small town in the Adirondacks, four characters narrate their individual truths about the event. In doing so, Dolores Driscoll, Billy Ansel, Mitchell Stephens and Nichole Burnell show us how relative a matter truth is, shaped by perspective, emotion and the need to establish (or absolve) guilt.
The New York Times said, “Mr. Banks is concerned with moral ambiguities and their consequences on ordinary lives.” Newsweek wrote, “Russell Banks writes with barely contained heat. It’s a style, sometimes plainspoken, sometimes stirring, that paradoxically seems to issue from some high, cold Olympian perspective while generating enormous emotional power. We agree with both these assessments and encourage all of Wilton to join us in reading The Sweet Hereafter!
We are tremendously grateful to community sponsors for helping the Library to make Wilton Reads! The Sweet Hereafter possible:
We are most excited that the author, Russell Banks, will be joining us in March to talk about the book!
Please pick up a copy or borrow the award-winning movie on DVD to discover–or rediscover–the poignancy and power of its message.
Wilton Reads! Events:
- The Wilton Bulletin has purchased hundreds of copies of the book for free distribution to the community. They will be available October 21st (Wilton Library’s Discovery Day) on a first-come, first-served basis–stop by and pick up your copy! We thank them heartily for their generosity.
- Susan Boyar, the exceptional book discussion leader for our Wilton Library Readers, will host an evening discussion of The Sweet Hereafter at 7:30 pm on Thursday, January 11.
- The Library will show the DVD of The Sweet Hereafter on Sunday, February 4, at 2 pm and again at 7 pm on Thursday, February 15. All are welcome.
- The Library will host a daytime discussion of The Sweet Hereafter on Thursday, March 1st from 10:30 to noon. Popular discussion leader Ben Van Vechten will be on hand to help us talk of characters, issues and more. All are welcome.
- At 7:30 pm on Thursday, March 15th, the Library will host a talk, book sale and signing by noted author Russell Banks! This appearance is sponsored in part by our community partners, The Wilton Bank and United Way of Norwalk & Wilton. A singed first edition of the book will be given away to a lucky audience member this evening, thanks again to The Wilton Bulletin.
Want to learn more? Explore these sites:
- The New York Times
- enotes.com (click on “criticism” on the right side for free excerpts and paid access to full articles)